Director of Technical Services
COMO Laucala Island, Fiji
Property: COMO Laucala Island
Position: Director of Technical Services
Base Location: Fiji
Department: Engineering/ POMEC
Reporting to: General Manager
Responsible for managing and overseeing POMEC functions, building upkeep, major assets, and utilities.
- Responsible for the overall management of POMEC, Golf, and Landscaping operations, report information, and discusses with the General Manager.
- Responsible for planning, implementing, and monitoring Project works for Resort infrastructure, key assets, environment, and buildings.
- Management of In-house and Sub-Contractors, ensuring required works are completed as per detailed SOW (Scope of work), project objective, and service agreement.
- Management of Civil Infrastructure, Plant Management, and Heart of House functional areas.
- Driving Preventive Maintenance programs to reduce downtime of inventory and costs.
- Responsible for all vehicles in terms of functionality, safety, maintenance, and licensing.
- Maintain updated records and reports to ensure safety compliance and due diligence.
- Manage the operational and CAPEX budgets for POMEC in keeping expenditures within budget and provide monthly verification for expenditure to Finance.
- Responsible for operational efficiencies throughout all areas of POMEC overview, which requires specifying the best materials and equipment (Durability) for the desired purpose, negotiations, procurement, and TM productivity.
- Monitoring and maintaining inventory controls, scrutinizing purchases to ensure sustainability in materials, make, and module (Compatibility).
- Responsible for analyzing key data from utilities to building materials, so to control costs, measure initiatives, and to establish accurate departmental overviews.
- Responsible for developing a training plan for POMEC operations, Team Member mentoring, coaching, and implementing training based on critical needs
- Regular SOP refresher programs, team building initiatives, and positive endorsement to improve work performance and create high-performing employees.
- Hold daily briefings and allocate work tasks to relevant teams, then check and monitor progress to ensure the work is completed on time and according to standard.
- Ensure Team Members are motivated to consistently achieve a higher level of service.
- A positive attitude with a flexible approach to working hours.
- Able to motivate and lead the team by example, from organization, knowledge/ experience, hands-on attitude, variable communication, and character strength.
Occupational Health & Safety
- Responsible for implementing, maintaining, and monitoring Occupational Health & Safety compliance by ensuring safe work procedures are observed, trained, and practiced.
- Team Members are provided and must wear Personal Protective Equipment, relevant safety signage is placed, organize regular audits in accordance with OH&S regulations.
- Attend the OH&S monthly meetings and monitor the progress of raised safety matters.
- Advocate OH&S standards in recommending training, seminars, drills, etc.
- Diligently work with the OHS Coordinator to ensure that Team Members and management are fully aware of potential risks and their responsibilities.
- To support, communicate, and work closely with the General Manager.
- Aware of Overall Resort and departmental objectives and assist in achieving them.
- Represents POMEC at required meetings, ensuring excellent synergy around guest areas.
- Implements improved processes, systems, and procedures for departmental efficiency, followed by proper implementation training, supervision, and control.
- 10 years of work experience in a similar role on an international exclusive private island.
- A formal Engineering qualification or suitable qualification in a related discipline.
- Must possess experience in managing multi-million operational and Capex budgets.
- Must have experience in sourcing and managing multiple contractors, ensuring all work is completed to international standards and within budget.
- Must have experience in managing a complex and remote POMEC operation that includes Engineering, Landscaping, and Fleet Mechanic workshops.
- Strong attention to detail, accuracy, high level of creativity, and passion for service.
- Strong leadership and administrative skills.
- Must be able to live and work in a remote island, environment, and community.
- Must have a passion for sustainability and the environment, driving positive changes.
- Strong business acumen that enjoys resolving technical challenges.
- Fluency in English — Spoken and written is essential, with other languages being an advantage.