COMO Laucala Island, Fiji
Property: COMO Laucala Island
Position: Marine Manager
Base Location: Fiji
Reporting to: General Manager
The role of the Marine Manager is to oversee the overall operation of the Marine Department and ensure that the Department is in conformance with COMO Laucala Island and Maritime Safety Authority of Fiji (MSAF) standards, keeping all passengers and vessels out of harm’s way.
- Oversees the entire operation and upkeep of vessels through Captains, Mechanics, and operational supervision of the crews, ensuring to elevate any needs as and when they arise.
- Provides leadership for the department, conducts performance assessments, and manages employee development through planned training and organisational structure.
- Collaborates with the development, implementation, and maintenance of the marine fleet operational policy – master standing orders (MSO), standard operating procedures (SOP), and safe working procedures (SWP) along with detailed Vessel/ Engine service and maintenance logs.
- Plans and undertakes critical marine safety training for the Team Members of COMO Laucala to prepare and give them confidence in the water if the unfortunate need arises.
- Has a passion to develop himself and others, multitasking, and advancing the team to improve guest experience and safety in and on the water, along with increasing team retention.
- Ensures all motorised vessels and crews are prepared for the Maritime Safety Authority inspection/certification, along with other regulatory bodies and insurance.
- Conducts risk assessments and overseas post-incident investigations to determine root causes of incidents, providing recommendations and planned action to ensure corrective measures are put in place to prevent future incidents.
- Creates and manages the operational budget for the department, ensuring operating costs are kept in line with planned expenditure and that all procurement is scrutinised for the best product and price.
- Oversees the operational contingency plan and acts as incident commander during emergency response situations, which includes implementation of the Marine Incident Command System.
- Ensures Barge and crew are prepared for the Maritime Safety Authority inspection/certification.
- Ensures that the On/Offloading is conducted in a safe and efficient manner around the tide.
- Maintains and co-coordinates barge schedule with logistics to suit operational demand.
- Undertakes operational activities directly relating to Special Projects or Barge maintenance.
- Hire barges to suit operational needs, all at competitive rates to minimize operational cost
- Develop existing relationships with Legal Authority (MSAF), Fiji Ports, and loading providers.
- Offer guidance, advice, and expertise on logistical aspects of imports, ensuring that suppliers fulfill all requirements expected.
- Must have 5 years or more experience in managing Resort based Marine Operations
- Must have tertiary and trade/technical qualifications in Marine & Logistics.
- Knowledge and disciplines of Maritime Legislations.
- Strong leadership and administrative skills.
- Knowledge of Cyclone Procedures and OHS requirements.
- Experience in Logistics, Customs, and Quarantine terms & procedures.
- A positive attitude with a flexible approach to working hours.
- Excellent PC Excel, Microsoft Word, and Microsoft PowerPoint skills.
- Must be able to live and work in a remote island environment and community.
- Fluency in English is imperative, must have the ability to read, and analyse and interpret contracts, vessel drawings, and communicate clearly with third parties and guests.